For anyone with an irresistible impulse to explore new destinations or rediscover old ones.
Para quienes quieren explorar nuevos destinos y volver a descubrir sitios que ya conocen.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Wanderlust Revelation: Rockstar Storyteller on Tour (worldwide)

My copy of Sedari's When You Are Engulfed in Flames, signed thanks to my friend Sara

David Sedaris, a modern storyteller of rockstar status (as he sells out venues across the country) kicks off the Canada and US legs of his world tour tomorrow, March 29th. The self-effacing, sardonic storyteller who is a master manipulator of bon mots, has a huge following throughout the world, with people postings themselves reading his words on YouTube, to which I can only utter: wow


I don't remember when I first read his words, I believe it was in the New Yorker. What I do remember was when I got my first Sedaris-signed book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames. It was gifted to me by my friend Sara, with the inscription, "To Carey, I've heard such good things about you." That wasn't exactly what Sara had in mind, but Sedaris has become famous for improvising his inscriptions on tour. Next, I watched many of his readings on YouTube and a good friend and former roommate, Giulia, an Italian, also obsessed with the US-writer, clued me into the shocking and hilarious: "You Can't Kill the Rooster."

I can only hope my writing would put me in a place to 'open for' the great Sedaris one day. In the meantime, I am working my way back through his works, having just finished Naked and will see the man live when I attend his stop in Schenectady. I'll be front row right of center. If you are unfamiliar with Sedaris, I suggest Googling and checking out his readings online, picking up his books and then seeing him live

I'll let you know how my meeting with my lit hero goes! 

--------
David Sedaris, un moderno narrador de las alturas de una estrella de rock (las entradas a sus presentaciones se agostan rapidamente) comenzara su tour de Canada y los Estados Unidos manyana, el 29 de Marzo. El autor, modesto y sardonico que manipula palabras de una manera magistral, tiene gente por todo el mundo leyendo sus palabras y colgando videos por YouTube (es algo increible).

No recuerdo la primera vez que lei una obra de Sedaris, creo que fue en la revista el New Yorker. Lo que si recuerdo es cuando recibi una copia de When You Are Engulfed in Flames, firmado por el escritor. Fue un regalo de cumpleanyos que me regalo mi amiga Sara. Sedaris escribio: "Para Carey, Me ha contado muy buenas cosas de ti."  Aunque no fue lo que ha pedido Sara de Sedaris (el ahora es famoso porque firma lo que le da la gana) fue un regalo genial. Luego empece a ver videos de sus narraciones por YouTube y despues mi amiga y ex-companyera de piso, Giulia, una Italiana tambien obsesionada con el escritor, me ensenyo el divertidismo cuento: "You Can't Kill the Rooster."

Solo puedo esperar que la calidad de mis historias me hagan llegar a una altura de telonero para el gran Sedaris. Mientras estoy leyendo sus libros mas antiguos, acabo de leer Naked y al comienzo de Abril vere a mi idolo cuando pasa por Schenectady, Nueva York. Tengo una entrada de primera fila centro-derecha. Si no conoces a Sedaris, recomiendo que buscas por Google unos videos, empiezas a leer sus libros y vas al tour para verle leer en directo.  

Os cuento como va mi encuentro con mi heroe de literatura!

No comments: